Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Ulm Cathedral



We stopped in Ulm, Germany on our way from Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Lindau (also still in Germany). The Cathedral in Ulm is massive and has the tallest steeple in the world. So of course we had to climb it. It was only 769 steps, no biggie. My dad and Martin barely broke a sweat but here's what I looked like in all my sweatiness (compliments of Martin snapping this photo of me the instant I stepped out of the stairway at the top):



Okay here's the cathedral itself:



This is the tiny little circular staircase you use to get up the top bit of the steeple (I got pretty dizzy on the way down):



It was really narrow and tiny and cramped at the top ...



so we didn't take pictures from the very top but took them from about 2/3 of the way up where there's a larger area to stand and move around:



The river in the above picture is the Danube. You can take canoe trips on it but since we just stopped here to see the Cathedral and grab lunch we didn't have time. Next time. In the picture below the two steeples in the front center are from the same Cathedral but they're the shorter wimpier steeples.



And here are Martin and I on our way down (my dad is there too but hiding behind the column or further to the left):



Once we got down we went inside the Cathedral to have a look around and to attend the 30-minute daily organ concert. The organ there has 8,000 pipes and you have to go there and listen to it. Had I gotten married in a church I would have chosen this one and had that organ play loud and scary music the whole time because it's so moving and impressive.



This was my favorite stained glass window in the Cathedral. There was a lot of stained glass in the Cathedral and every window was done by a different artist and therefore unique but this one was filled with reds and purples and then brilliant white. I think this picture came out pretty well - and guess what mom it's yours! surprise!



Here are some more pictures of the inside:





And here are my dad and I appreciating the Cathedral before we went to lunch ... while my mom wanders off somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment