Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Parents in Zürich



On my parents' first night in Zürich we took them to Restaurant Die Waid, which sits on one of the hills surrounding Zürich and has a view of the whole city and Lake Zürich. Of course it was cloudy and rainy on this evening but towards the end of dinner some of the Alps came out in the distance:









My parents' first day in Zürich was of course cool and rainy but I still took them down to Bahnhofstrasse which is the street with all the banks on it! And the high-end stores. And the chocolate shops. We went to Sprüngli and got their specialty, Luxemburgerli:



They come in all sorts of different flavors like chocolate, raspberry, cappuccino, lemon, and my favorite, caramel. Very tasty but also very expensive!

And we took a nice rainy day picture at the street called Rennweg, which is a cute little street filled with flags:





We also went to Morkur, another Swiss chocolate store, and bought blocks of different chocolate there ... I think we got a strawberry-raspberry white chocolate, a blackberry dark chocolate, and an orange-almond dark chocolate. They were all excellent and there were probably 20-30 different flavors to choose from so I have to go back and try some more of them.

I also took my parents to the Pretzel King so my mom could have herself a nice big soft pretzel and I meant to get a picture of her eating it but it was gone before I had time to pull out the camera! Okay so I was eating my own pretzel (actually a sandwich on pretzel bread) and by the time I got around to thinking of taking a picture of her she had eaten her whole pretzel. My dad didn't even get a piece of it!

I also ensured that my mom tried the "best bratwurst in Zürich" which she found quite tasty. She was a little put off by the fact that it's not served as a sandwich, just a whole bratwurst that you hold in one hand and a roll that you hold in your other hand and you take bites of both. But once she got the hang of it she enjoyed it.

So they got the full Zürich experience - rainy days, Swiss chocolate, pretzels, and bratwurst.

No comments:

Post a Comment