Monday, July 12, 2010

My Morning Run



Here are some pictures from my current morning running route. I managed to find a nice flat rural-ish road surrounded by fields of wheat and corn.



These cows just appeared a few days ago. They like to hang out in the shade. Behind the cows is the forest that we can walk around in that I took pictures of a few weeks ago.



And across the street from the cows is a little barn with some horses in it. I didn't take a picture of the horses but you can see where the horse carrier car thing is.



A nice field of wheat. There is a path along the forest, between the forest and the wheat field. I plan to start running along that on occasion. Note that this forest is not the same forest as above - this forest is on the other side of the street. Try to keep track of all of the ruralness going on here in the outskirts of Zürich. We have found so far that any forested area in or near Zürich has nice, well-kept walking trails. It's quite nice.



And then I cross over the thruway! Some mornings, when rush hour traffic (6am is rush hour here because the Swiss get up crazy early) is bumper to bumper, I bet most of the people sitting in their cars wish they were me on a nice morning run across the bridge.



This is more of the forest that goes behind our apartment. It is actually quite extensive. It has great running trails and I'd run in it in the mornings but a) it's up an enormous hill from our apartment and my calves don't like that at 6am, and b) I couldn't handle being one of the first people to run in there in the early mornings because I'd have to break all the spider webs on the trails from the night before. It's really part b) that is keeping me from going in there.



Then I continue down this bit of sidewalk until I reach the buildings in the distance, then I turn around and come back or turn and run back along the forest a bit but there is only that one bridge over the thruway so I have to run back along that part of the road again.



So that's my route. It is exactly 5km (3.1 miles). Once I have more than a half hour to run in the mornings (so after my intensive German classes are done) I hope to extend my run a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment