Saturday, May 15, 2010

I Have Conformed.



I never thought I'd own a pair of converse, but now I do. I wanted to buy a pair of puma's but they cost way beyond my means and then I really liked some purple adidas sneakers but they were too narrow for my feet so converse it was. Purple shoes would have been so fun though. Next time I need new shoes they shall be purple.

And while I think black socks look ugly except when worn with dress shoes, if I don't wear them here then I am the only person wearing white socks in the entire city. Usually I can wear white socks and hide them under long pants but in the gym where everybody is wearing shorts it is especially noticeable that I missed the memo about wearing only black socks. Interestingly, they did sell white socks at the shoe store today. So somebody must be buying them and wearing them ... somewhere. Maybe they're just there for the American tourists to buy.

It was fun shoe shopping today because I got to use my new German language skills. I always asked for my shoe size in German because I learned all the numbers. There must be a lot of tourists in town this weekend for some reason though because I almost heard more English on the streets than German while wandering around shopping. I think I had only picked up 2 English conversations on the street in the 2 weeks I've been here until today when suddenly everybody was speaking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment