Monday, July 2, 2012

Dinner at the Wachtenburg Castle


Saturday evening we wandered up to the castle for dinner. Turns out the castle is a great place for a drink and a view but the food there is a little too German for me. Pork in all its forms (sausage, ham, pork chops), sauerkraut, cheese, bread. I wanted a salad but they didn't offer any salad without sausage or some sort of pork product in it!

Anyway, here are some pictures of the views from the restaurant:



It's all forest behind the castle (to the west) and vineyards and towns in front of it (to the east):





Here's what was left of my and Martin's dinners after we were mostly done with them. Martin had a big piece of pork with sauerkraut and I got a mixed salad - which was a huge pile of something like bologna cut up into strips (with pickles!) next to a little pile of lettuce. I could only eat a few bites of the bologna it just wasn't as great as I thought it would be. This dish is really big here you see it all the time and I had always wanted to try it so now at least I can cross it off my list. And what we're drinking is a rose wine schörle. Very refreshing. :



Saturday evening happened to be a big sing-along at the castle stage! Apparently they were playing old German folk songs and all the old folks were there singing along. I think there are often events at the castle we just happened to hit the old folks' night there. :) The stage is not at the restaurant though it's in a different area so I snapped this picture on our way out:



Our cat friend who guards the alley we walk through to get to/from the castle. He's kind of old but definitely a fierce guard cat as you can see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment