Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Carloforte


Our last stop on this trip was St Peter's island (isola di San Pietro). We stayed at a really nice 10-room hotel where not a single person spoke English (or anything other than Italian for that matter) in Carloforte. Even though communication at the hotel was challenging at best, I still really liked it there. They had custard-filled donuts for breakfast! And chocolate cake. Really really tasty chocolate cake too. I love Italian breakfasts.

But I digress. I loved Carloforte because it was fun to wander around all the little streets there. I tried to take a lot of pictures of them and a few of those pictures might have actually turned out okay.

The view from our hotel room balcony. The pond-like bit of water you see is where salt is being made. The little strip of water you can barely see beyond that is the ocean. To the left of this picture is also the ocean but I didn't take a good picture of it:



With Garmisch:



There are lots of flamingos in the big salt making ponds. Try not to get vertigo from looking at my crooked picture:



Below are some of the pics I took around the streets of Carloforte. At night some of them had neat lighting from the ground up or with old-fashioned street lamps which I thought was neat.



This pic has one of those 3-wheeled cars in it. Lots of people drive them on San Pietro.









In the evenings all the old people sat in the main square on big round benches. And around 9pm all the children would come out to play as well and the square would become complete chaos.



Martin and I enjoying the nightlife in the square after dinner:

No comments:

Post a Comment