Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving



Martin and I decided to bring the tradition of Thanksgiving to some of our friends in Switzerland. So we hosted a Thanksgiving dinner. We ended up with people from America, Switzerland, Brazil, Germany, and Singapore. The Americans definitely ate the most ... it was impossible trying to convince the Brazilians that you're *supposed* to eat too much on Thanksgiving. And Agnes, the woman from Singapore, could not believe how many desserts we had. She said it was way too much and I tried to explain to her that you always have too much dessert on Thanksgiving and that's so you can eat it for breakfast the next day. She wasn't buying it.

It was a success nonetheless. Here's a before pic of the table (with Martin slaving away in the kitchen, it looks like the turkey is already out too):



And our fun orange and yellow roses:



And here's the "after" pic of everybody:



So, clockwise, you have Martin, Erlend, Sonja, Alex, Marcela, Nick, Agnes, and Andreas. Erlend, Marcela, and Agnes I met in my German classes and Nick is one of Martin's friends from the ETH.

I would have taken more pictures including pictures of the food (and the cheesecake, complete with strawberry topping, which was a huge hit) but we were busy. Martin and I made the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, brussels sprouts with apples, zucchini casserole, carrots, fresh-baked Zopf (we bought the dough though and just had to bake it ourselves), and cheesecake. For our first time making such a large dinner and our first time cooking a turkey, I think we did a really good job if I do say so myself. And we learned a few lessons for next year too!

No comments:

Post a Comment